Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Beginning the U-570

 As is my usual practice I have started another model while I am working one that is progressed along to the point that I am waiting for material, stuff to dry or am building sub-assemblies that must dry or set. I have chosen this 1/125 Scale Type VII C U-boat made by Revell advertised as the U-99. I believe this is a model that has been on the market for some time as it has minimal detail compared to more recent offerings. It is the same scale as the destroyer I am working on so it is an interesting comparison in size. I would place them both on the same diorama except it seems that almost every Fletcher class destroyer went immediately to the Pacific fleets. After some research I have found two that spent very short times in the Atlantic but I cannot find any records of them attacking and forcing a U-boat top the surface.  
The hulls limber holes have been drilled out, it took far less time than I had expected and I did it while talking with my wife and watching our favorite television series. How is that for multitasking! I am going to make this the U-570 it was captured rather early in the war and the British repaired it and commissioned it as the HMS Graph. I have not decided whether I will display it as the U-570 or as the HMS Graph yet, but that does not affect the detailing and work I am doing now. It will be displayed in the water as I am going to do with the Fletcher class destroyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment