Monday, July 28, 2014

Measure 22 painting of the Fletcher Class Destroyer

I am starting the Measure 22 Camouflage painting of this model, hull red, black boot topping and dark gray are applied. Haze grey comes next but I am having difficulty reconciling the colors I see on the USS Cotten DD-669 which I am using as the basis for the model. The color images look like it is in the middle of a transition from Measure 22 to Measure 21! But the ship was built in M21 and then was painted in M31 (Dazzle Scheme) then went to M22. The painting info is from shipcamouflage.com the color images are from NavSource Online the photos are obviously late war after an overhaul and some upgrades.

1 comment:

  1. I believe the crew is painting most of the superstructure Dark Blue 5N. You can see that all the fairleads, bollards and various other areas painted Zinc Chromate. I can only guess that they are changing the camo to Type 21, or that that may be all the paint they had at the time.

    ReplyDelete